Monday, August 17, 2009

I Rode Shotgun on a Misericordia Yesterday






Yesterday we went to the beach at Forte dei Marmi. Linda complained about not feeling very well about a half hour after we arrived and soon she was just lying on the beach not able to continue. We were close to a lifeguard and he asked if she was OK. She complained of nausea and she had a fever, so he got her under an umbrella and went and got a doctor. The doctor briefly checked her out and said if she got worse to come get him again. Well, she was getting worse, so the lifeguard contacted somebody at the hotel and they called an ambulance. Misericordia is ambulance in Italian, so off we went to the ospedale (hospital in Italian).

We spent the day at the hospital where it was determined after they ran almost every test imaginable that she probably had a urinary tract infection and was dehydrated, so she was given anti-biotics and fluids. We then we had a $35.00 Euro ride in a taxi back to the car.

I was glad that she doing better after they gave her fluids. They told us it would be a couple of hours to analyze the blood work, so both of us were asking alot of questions after 2 1/2 hours. I had to wait in the waiting area and that was tough as I was without the person who really speaks Italian well. I found a nurse who spoke english, so that made things alot better for me and I sort of forced myself back into the emergency area to be with Linda as the zoo in the waiting area was a bit too much for me. The nice nurse had to leave as her shift ended and I was left to communicate with nurse Ratchet, a German woman without much of a sense of humor. Major dropkick material!

The last hour at the hospital was intense as I was trying to get the hell out of there once it was determined that she wouldn't have to be hospitalized.

The fotos are of Forte dei Marmi on the Tuscan coast about an hour from our house.

1 comment:

PerformerTrack said...

Good to know Linda is feeling better. I have a comment I'll keep to myself and share with you when we see each other.

Was the lifeguard cute at least!!? :>)